Monday, December 20, 2021

Crazy Hiram's Used Computer Emporium

Would you buy an online education from this guy?

(This is a revision of a post published in 2010) 

I was wallowing in Unix and trapped in 1980's corporate computing. I knew it was time to bust the rut and do something different.  How to escape?

The idea for Hiram Access the computer guru as a printed calendar was born in a Carson City Nevada coffee shop talking with Wolf Kohtz.  I collaborated with a cartoonist to create a series of 12 cartoons. 

Let me note for the record, this is a project where the only person to get paid was the artist! 

The closest I got to a deal was standing in line to talk with the computer columnist John Dvorak.  I pitched him with the mock-up calendar. John gave me a one word review: 

"Cute." ~ John Dvorak   


That word killed the project for me. Somewhere in the files I still have a proof copy, but the calendar never went to press. In the world before the world wide web, you printed things! 

Today I resurrected Hiram Access and 'minted' him as an NFT.  


Update:  Now's your chance to own a very limited edition of the "Epiphany Image" of Hiram Access as a gas free NFT on OpenSea


The Origin of Hiram Access

Hiram learned to concentrate so completely that the propeller on his beanie would spin to the point of lift-off.


Back up is essential. Imagine the despair. Imagine the creative electrons lost when you failed to back up. It's the digital equivalent of scattered pages on the wind. How many times have I written just the right reply, hit post, and seen the screen freeze?

Getting Zapped means different things to different people.  Some think of the splat of an unexpected paint-ball right in the kisser.  Others remember sparking up the Norwegian wood above the tree line in the High Sierras. Or maybe you remember that foggy day in San Francisco when you stumbled into a file box of R. Crumb wonders in a dingy thrift store? What's real when it comes to memory?
















Chant today with Hiram Access!

So why not wiggle like so many blissful salmon fulfilling their destiny in the ragged creeks of Marin county? I remember climbing under the sheets wiggling in the subconscious hoping to merge with a desperate group of questing weirdos. Hey let's chant to the Web3 gods and put the ideas out there on electronic space. Who l knows other than me and you?

Now's your chance to own a very limited edition of the Hiram's origin story as a gas free NFT on OpenSea

No comments: